Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Oh no, my first potluck!

I thank the Internet for teaching me how to cook. I watch a show on the Food Network or I read a recipe and ask: "What does that mean? How do I do that? How do I buy it?" I Google it! There is a YouTube video or an article on everything. So before, I would have been turned away, now, I am empowered.

I live in Seattle near a lake where there is a huge fireworks display every July 4th. Every year my neighbor and I open our condos up and host a potluck. Potluck—the OA'ers worst nightmare!

I nervously decided to step up and do it this year. This will be my first potluck since joining OA. I've been out to dinner and lunch several times and last week attended a small birthday party that was potluck style. I've been OK with the food (not perfect, but OK). About half the people coming are fellow OA'ers. I've done a little food coordination, but not much and I've asked people to think healthy in deciding what to bring. I keep telling myself that I am sending people home with their dishes when they leave. We will see what happens.

In the meantime, here's my dish for the potluck. It's my favorite salad. The original recipe called for jalapeños but as I was prepping everything one day, I looked in the fridge and my jalapeños had spoiled. My choices were to stop everything and go to the store or improvise. I live near two spice stores here in Seattle and I always have interesting spices on hand. I decided to add chipotle pepper flakes to the dressing instead. (A chipotle is a jalapeño that has been smoked and the chipotle flakes look like red pepper flakes but darker.) Wow! This was easier and tastier!

You may substitute your favorite type of beans for the black beans and garbanzos. Any firm bean will do. This salad will work as a main course and is very satisfying and colorful. I often eat this for lunch along with avocado that I cut up at the last minute. Unlike a traditional green salad, this salad can stay in the fridge for few days and still be fresh, so I never mind making such a huge salad in advance.

So here's the recipe as it has evolved over the last year. Please enjoy and let me know if you liked it!

    Chipotle Bean and Pepper Salad
  • 2 large red bell peppers, diced

  • 2 large orange bell peppers, diced

  • 2 large yellow bell peppers, diced

  • 2 large red onions, diced

  • 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed

  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed

  • 1 large or 2 small mangoes (optional)

  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or use dried cilantro in the dressing)

  • salt and ground black pepper to taste

  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

  • 1 lime, juiced

  • 1 lemon, juiced

  • chipotle flakes, to taste

In a large bowl, mix the red onion, peppers, beans, mangoes and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, lime juice, chipotle flakes, dried cilantro (if using), salt and pepper. Drizzle over the salad, and toss to coat. Refrigerate salad at least 4 hours before serving. Serve cold.

For variety: change up the peppers and the beans. For the dressing, use 2 limes and no lemon and mince up some cloves of garlic.

Tip: I saw Guy use this lemon squeezer on the Food Network to juice lemons and limes and could not get to Bed Bath & Beyond fast enough to buy it that day after doing this by hand. It yields so much more juice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

for potlucks i always go with a veggie tray, stocked with celery which is what i use as my go to muchy food!! this website also helped and acts as a survival guide for me when i cant stop binge eating!! www.compulsiveovereatinginfo.com